Tap turns three today. Not the app, which was first launched in April 2021, but the company: Tap Electric B.V. was registered on this day in 2020. Since then, we went from a small driver app with access to a handful of chargers, to a full-fledged charging platform that manages chargers in four countries and helps users navigate the good, skip the bad and fix the ugly chargers. Sometimes, when I explain what Tap does and how we run our business, people respond with “Oh I didn’t know that”. So, here’s a mix of celebration and reflection.
A timeline so far
- Quit my job, but stayed on as a freelancer to generate some extra bootstrapping money.
- Registered the company in November.
The app publicly launched in April. Users could start and stop charging via the app or RFID, but only on a limited network around Amsterdam.
Won our first big deal with TotalEnergies in Amsterdam.
Launched cool new driver features, such as an RFID key protected with 2FA and AI-generated availability predictions.
- Dan joined as co-founder (!).
- We launched the charger management platform in the UK. Anyone can now connect their chargers to Tap, manage them and collect payments, for free.
- We drew up the Tap culture, before we even had a team.
- Dan led our seed investment round and we signed with LUMO Labs, Shamrock Ventures and Fair Capital.
- Tap became a gang of five.
- Accelerating growth.